TODAYs ANSWER WRITING CHALLENGE FROM GS-I
Q1. Analyse the factors for highly decentralized cotton textile industry in India. [05marks/2013/GS-1] 100 words.
Please write answer in the comments section.
1. Traditionally, cotton industry in India is largely concentrated in cotton growing areas of peninsula, Like Gujarat, Maharastra and Tamil Nadu.
2. These areas had advantages of proximity of market, capital facility, cheap labour and proximity to port facility.
3. But cotton is lightweight, non-perishable material, there is hardly any weight loss during production.
4. As a result, proximity to raw material becomes non-critical factor in location. Production can be carried out anywhere with cheap labour, energy and water supply is available for dyeing.
5. Gradually industry shifted towards small towns and cities – be it Jaipur, Jodhpur, Indore or Amritsar.