TODAYs ANSWER WRITING CHALLENGE FROM GS-I
Q1. Why do some of the most prosperous regions of India have an adverse sex ratio for women? Give your arguments.
[10marks/2014/GS-1] 150 words.
Please write answer in the comments section.
The census 2011,reflects the harsh truth regarding the adverse sex ratio in prosperous states. The sex ratio in India dropped from
927 females per 1,000 males to 914. Many states like Delhi,Haryana,U.P etc. even being prosperous have an adverse sex ratio for women. The male child preference is prevailing in the society. Some of the reasons behind this social evils are:
1. Poverty: The low income group prefers boy as their natural heir because they can start working in their early age and become a
contributor to the family.
2. Female Foeticide: Even after government has banned the prenatal diagnostic centres, they are illegally run in the big cities as there is no any counter check for them.
3. Patriarchal mindset: The mindset prevails seeing women as property and access to having son.
4. Prosperity as a boon: The rich class can afford to pay for these technologies and diagnostic centres, so they misuse it. (Lack of ethics in Doctors)
5. Conservative ideas for women regarding their attire is also a reason provided by the urban class people.
Gender discrimination in India is undoubtedly one of the county’s most shameful social realities. But, looking at its urban context is
more dangerous. Though many awareness programmes are held in this respect like Beti Bachao,Beti Padhao and for this a combined effort of government, medical staffs and awareness in public is needed.